Poor Tyson, the Jack Russell Terror. Jazz and I have agreed, he's too much for our house. Part of me feels like crap, because I've never given up on an animal I've commited to. But then. I admit, I never committed to Tyson permanently. The owner gave us his paperwork tonight, surrendering the dog to us and our best judgement for him. I know, in my heart of hearts, that our decision is what is best for the dog.
No, we aren't doing anything irrevocable like taking him to the vet to be put to sleep. I'm not *that* bad. Nor is he going to the pound. He is going to the vet though- he's going to be fixed ASAP. When he is done at the vet's office, he's going to be surrendered to Jack Russell Terrier Rescue. These wonderful people have agreed to take Tyson on and give him a home, and ideally find him a forever home. This is very kind of them, because they work almost exclusively with dogs registered with the Jack Russell Terrier Club, AKC or the CKC.
Tyson's parents are registered with "APR" or the American Pet Records, but apparently his litter and himself are NOT registered with APRI or any other registration. APRI (American Pet Registry, Inc.) itself does not recognize the pedigree of any dog solely listed in APR, but gosh, they are happy to issue paperwork that may look like certification of being a purebred dog. The paperwork includes the receipt with the price paid for the dog from the pet store, and it's almost $800. I can't imagine spending that much money without thinking about it long and hard. The paperwork lists a breeder name, "Margaret Kerr", but no contact information about the breeder. Nor is the breeder listed on the APRI site (but there is a caveat there saying that listing there is optional).
I've thought pet stores could be shady in the past and I have never bought a pet store in a shop, except fish and a couple of budgies. I know better now even about the budgies. I've helped with dogs rescued from puppy mills. I should know these things. But criminy it's smacked me upside the head this week.
I do resolve here and now that when we find room at the food bowl, we are contacting Basset Hound rescue. This is the breed that my husband and I both adore, with all of its faults and liabilities, and I would so much rather take a dog from rescue if at all possible. It's either that or do what we always do and take one from the shelter. The local dog shelter isn't no-kill. So anyone we can save, we'd feel good about it.
Tyson's owner also possesses a cat, Titan. I'm calling odds about 80% likely that Titan will be dumped in our home within 3 weeks. It's not that I want another cat. 4 cats is a lot, and we barely have Tom integrated fully (the best thing about Tyson is now Tom and Kenya have reached a truce). But shelters only have so much room, and I can squeeze one more in if I need to. My heart always has room.
I've also managed to talk him round about fostering kittens next year. :)